[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Wed Sep 29 13:34:27 PDT 1999

A BRIEF NOTE:  I forgot two items on the page-o-thanks.  I left off saying
thank you to Sonic.net for loaning us the iMac to put Linux on to demo.  I
also forgot to mention Kat.  Without Kat, I would have certainly lost it at
the InstallFest.  She keeps me calm and helps out with not only Scribe
duties, but also administrative nightmares that I can't take the time to
think about most of the time.  Thanks, Kat! :)

Hey all!  Just wanted to finally get out the official announcement about the
October meeting.  In case you hadn't wandered over to the web site, the
speaker this month will be Sybase.  For those who don't know who Sybase is,
they are one of the top three database server vendors.

Just to help set your minds at ease, I have spoken with Sybase and they have
assured me this will not be a dog-and-pony show as some of you may be
expecting.  They were already aware that people who take time out of their
schedules to come to a Linux user group, aren't going to want to sit around
and listen to a bunch of marketing types.  Now - I'm not about to say they
won't do SOME marketing and sales stuff (hey...we all have to make money),
but they will be able to talk technical and will be spending most of their
time talking in that light.  There will also be a time for Q&A.

The Sybase representatives will be demonstrating SQL Anywhere Studio for
Linux -- the Industry's First Mobile and Embedded Database for Linux. With
the same robust features and full technical support of SQL Anywhere Studio's
other core platforms, Sybase's Linux version leverages Linux's
enterprise-class reliability and performance on low-cost hardware, such as
work-group servers, monitoring systems, edge servers or point-of sale
devices. Also, you'll have the chance learn more about their new support for
Red Hat 6.0.

The meeting will be at our normal time and location - O'Reilly in Sebastopol
at 7:30PM.  Remember to get there before 7:30, since once the meeting has
started, we will no longer give out tickets for the door prize drawing.

For further information, check out our web site, http://www.nblug.org/.

-Dustin

--
Founder & President