[NBLUG] Linux Demo Day '99 / InstallFest

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Fri Sep 3 10:28:01 PDT 1999

Hi there everyone.  This month we've got something pretty cool lined up for
you.  Not only are we going to have an InstallFest this time around, but we
are also participating in Linux Demo Day '99 (http://www.linuxdemo.org/).
You can check out their site for more info, but basically, it's a group of
LUG's around the world who are trying to put on a demo of Linux in their
community.  It's a very exciting event, and the even cooler part is that a
number of vendors are sponsoring, so we've got lot's of goodies to give out!

	| LDD/InstallFest		O'Reilly & Associates, Inc. |
	| September 12th, 1999	@	103B Morris Street          |
	| 10AM - 4PM			Sebastopol                  |
	|	http://www.nblug.org/directions.cgi                 |

FREE STUFF

	Well...hopefully that got your attention  :)

	Since there are several vendors who are sponsoring the event, we
have been blessed with lot's of great things to give away as door prizes.
You will have the opportunity to walk away with T-shirts, books, CD's or
other Linux related goodies.  We've got stuff from Caldera, TurboLinux, Red
Hat, Linux Central, O'Reilly & Associates, SuSE and more!

	We will have a drawing each hour of the event for those who are
present.  You must be present to win, and you may only win once in the day.
The first drawing will be held at 11AM and will continue until 4PM.

WE NEED YOUR HELP!

	We need some help to make this event the best it can be.  What we
need from you is to help us spread the word.  If you know someone at a North
Bay company, school or other group that would be interested in Linux, pass
this on to them.  They don't have to be running Linux currently - this event
is designed to help them understand what Linux is, and how it could
potentially help them solve tasks or problems.  Here's a brief list of
schools and companies we thought of that we'd like to invite :

	* Santa Rosa Junior College - CIS Dept, Computing Services, BOT Dept
	* Sonoma State - IS Dept, CIS, Library
	* High Schools - El Molino, Piner, SRHS, Casa Grande
	* Companies - AVE, Cerent/Cisco, Alcatel, Autodesk, Lucas, Fireman's
	Fund, Truetime, Broderbund/Learning Company, OCLI, FairIsaac

	If you know someone who works in the IS/IT or Engineering
departments at any of the companies above, or any other company in the North
Bay, I'd encourage you to forward this message on to them.

LINUX DEMO DAY '99

	As part of the LDD '99, we are going to have a number of special
things going on.  First, we will have a demo of computers that are non-Intel
boxes that Linux runs on.  We plan on having a SGI, a Sun, a DEC/Compaq
Alpha and some sort of Macintosh platform.  This is by no means the only
hardware Linux runs on, but it helps to illustrate how older machines can be
re-purposed as small servers for departments, or companies or schools with
small budgets.

	We will have local Linux gurus on hand to demo the machines, as well
as show you some of the solutions Linux can provide in your environment.
These range from Internet services such as Web and email to file serving and
printer sharing.

INSTALL FEST

            NOTE: PLEASE DON'T SHOW UP AT 3:30 EXPECTING HELP!!!

	If you have always wanted to run Linux at home or at work, but were
afraid to take that step forward, this is for you!  You can bring your
machine to the Install Fest where you can get help from local Linux experts
in installing Linux on your box.

	If you have thought about it, but still aren't ready to bring your
box in, that's fine too.  You can discuss your concerns and issues with
others in preparation for that day when you are ready to install it.

	Here's how it works.  Arrive early so that we can assist you with
what you need.  You will need to bring your monitor, keyboard and mouse with
you as well.  You don't need to bring your peripherals (like printers etc),
unless of course, you need help getting your peripheral working.  Remember
though, space is at a premium, so don't bring more than you really need to.
Also, it's good to bring a power strip as well.  We will have a couple, but
they are on a first come, first served basis.  If you bring a power bar, you
will get priority in plugging all your stuff in.

	As far as what to install at the Install Fest, we will have several
distributions available for you.  We will have Red Hat 6.0 & 5.2 and Debian
2.1.  It might be a good idea to bring your own media, as the CD's will be
available to those who get there first.  You can get a cheap CD from Cheap
Bytes (http://www.cheapbytes.com/) or you can get something direct from Red
Hat or any other Linux vendor.

	We will have access to a T1 connection to the Internet, so if you'd
like to bring your machine to grab some stuff off of the 'net, feel free to
do that as well, however, don't be downloading anything you wouldn't want to
show your mom. :) We will have a 18 port hub available. The network
connectivity is on a first come, first served basis as well.  If you have a
small hub, you may want to think about brining it to guarantee you get a
connection.

	We will have a small number of network cards available for loan
should you not have a network card.  If you plan on getting network
connectivity, you may want to bring a network cable as well.  We will have a
few cables, but they are (surprise, surprise) on a first come first served
basis.

	Well, I suppose that about covers everything.  If you have any
questions regarding the Install Fest, please feel free to contact me at the
address below.

Looking forward to seeing you there!!

-Dustin Mollo

--