[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at sonic.net
Wed May 3 14:30:43 PDT 2000

Greetings everyone!

For those who got confused about last month's meeting, so did I, it seems.
I had booked VMware in my calendar for our April meeting, and VMware had it
for May.  Well, we worked out the confusion, and they will be here next week
to give you all the information you ever wanted about virtual machines and
their product.  I've seen most of their presentation here in my office, and
it's really interesting.

We will be meeting at the normal time of 7:30PM on Tuesday, May 9th.  Be
sure to show up a little before the meeting starts to get your door prize
ticket.  For full directions to the meeting (including the address of
O'Reilly), please see our web site at http://www.nblug.org/info.cgi

Below is information from our guest, Darryl, about the presentation.

VMware - New Flexibility for Your PC
------------------------------------

VMware (http://www.vmware.com) allows multiple operating systems to run
concurrently on a standard PC. For mere mortal Linux users this allows you
to run things like Microsoft Office and Microsoft Windows along with Linux.
For super-hero Linux hackers, software and web developers and studly QA
people VMware allows you to run, develop and test under different
environments, even running client server and web applications between
different operating system on the same PC. VMware also provides great
flexibility through it's ability to easily undo changes to virtual
environments or easily move environments between PCs.

This presentation will cover VMware's virtual machine monitor technology and
the basic architecture of VMware. Some of the capabilities of VMware
including isolation and encapsulation and more advanced capabilities such as
the transactional disk subsystem, suspend to disk and virtual networking.
Advanced tricks for software development and kernel hacking that even
super-heros should find impressive will be covered. The talk will include
live demonstrations.

About VMware, Inc.
------------------
Founded in January 1998, VMware, Inc. is a privately held software company
based in Palo Alto, CA. More information and free evaluation copies of VMware
are available at http://www.vmware.com.

About the Presenter
-------------------
Darryl Ramm is Director of Product Marketing for some future VMware products.
Prior to VMware Darryl worked at Adobe Systems, Silicon Graphics and Pyramid
Technology (now Fujitsu Siemens Computer systems). Darryl's background is in
database and large systems development, including database and UNIX systems
internals development.

Looking forward to seeing you all there!!

-Dustin

--
Founder & President
The North Bay Linux Users' Group