[NBLUG] General Meeting Announcement

Dustin Mollo dustin at nblug.org
Thu Jul 5 16:19:59 PDT 2001

WHAT: NBLUG General Meeting
TOPIC: Network Booting with Linux
WHERE: O'Reilly (see NBLUG website for specifics)
WHEN: July 10th, 2001 @ 7:30PM

----

     URGENT NOTE:  Please keep an eye out for an announcement within the
       next week about our August meeting location.  It WILL NOT be at
                            O'Reilly as normal!!

Greetings fellow Linux hackers and user!  I hope your summer is going well
and that you're enjoying the great weather we've been having the past few
weeks.

Our July meeting just almost upon us.  This month we've got a talk from our
long-time group members, Mike Egan and Andru Luvisi.  They both work at
Sonoma State University where they've got numerous machines around the
campus booting either disklessly, or near-disklessly over the network.  They
also have laptops booting over a WIRELESS network, which is pretty darned
cool, if you ask me.

Here's a little info from Mike about what they'll be talking about:

	Older machines that can run Linux may act as diskless stations
	throughout your house. No need for them to have a hard disk, and
	they can actually run all of the applications from the server much
	like a Citrix System works today.

	Labs and public stations can be configured in large groups from the
	server. Server mount is NFS, but only exported as read-only and
	client machines have no "state" so pressing the reset button or
	shutting them down without the normal shutdown is not a problem. Our
	employment of diskless booting uses client side processing instead
	of the Citrix-style server side processing.

Some things they'll try to cover (they've got a long list and time might end
up running short based on questions that come up along the way):

* Theory of netbooting
* Writing EEPROMS for certain ethernet cards
* Using floppies in place of burning PROMS
* Comparisons to Apple's netbooting system as well as Citrix

That should do it.  We hope to see you all there!

-Dustin

--
Founder & President
The North Bay Linux Users' Group