[NBLUG/Announce] General Meeting TOMORROW: Election and "Where'd my Files Go? A guide to the Modern Ubuntu Distribution"

Kyle Rankin kyle at nblug.org
Mon Nov 10 08:04:24 PST 2008

Start: 2008/11/11 - 7:30pm
End: 2008/11/11 - 9:00pm
Location:
O'Reilly, Sebastopol, CA
http://nblug.org/genloc
Speaker: Kyle Rankin

    While you might not be able to tell at a cursory glance, a lot has
    changed behind the scenes on a modern Ubuntu system from what you might
    be used to if you have used Linux for years. For example, did you know
    Ubuntu is phasing out System V init? That you can't loopback-mount the
    initrd? In this talk I would discuss the current changes Ubuntu is
    making to what we might consider the traditional Linux system. There's
    a little something for everyone on the talk: For Linux newbies who are
    curious about what's under the hood I will cover the traditional and
    modern boot process including how init works and follow up with a guide
    to where important files are in Ubuntu. For the experienced Linux user
    I'll show you how (and why) things have changed and where you can look
    now when you want to, for instance, change the default runlevel on an
    Ubuntu system.

    We will also be holding NBLUG elections at the beginning of the
    meeting.

--
Kyle Rankin
NBLUG President