[NBLUG/noise] Windows networking

William Tracy afishionado at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 11:04:58 PDT 2006

Hello,

I'm having some headaches getting my parents' Winbl^H^Hdows boxen
networked. I'm hoping that someone here could either point me at a
good place to ask for help, or maybe actually help me. :-)

I'm trying to get file sharing on a Windows XP machine and a Windows
98 machine. They're connected via a Linksys router w/ a built-in hub
(and onboard DHCP!).

The Windows XP machine is up on the network and can see itself under
"Shared Files". The Windows 98 machine cannot see anything at all
under "Network Neighborhood". I can connect from it to the router by
typing in the router's IP address and access its browser-based config
screens, so the network card *is* working.

However, even when I follow Windows XP's advice to put the XP disk
into the 98 machine and run the "Network Setup Wizard", it complains
that it cannot find the network hardware.

So ... now what?

William