DSL help plz.

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Tue Dec 28 13:33:03 PST 1999

On Tue, 28 Dec 1999, Rick Moen wrote:
> Subject: Re: DSL help plz.
> Quoting ME (dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu):
> > If you are dead set on the idea of serving from home, then T1 offers
> > 1.544 Mbps at full duplex, or SDSL (in some areas) offers
> > bi-directional identical speeds, but still are not full duplex...
> My building's service is SDSL (through Northpoint and Best Internet),
> and it's definitely full duplex.  We switched to that from T1, and saw
> no difference in connection-latency.

Ys this is likely to e the case. A T1 is likely to outperform SDSL when
uploads and downloads both approach 1.544Mbps. In today's environments,
SDSL works ok for may people running a mostly DL service while a full T1
works better to tie together two LANs which are both likely to exchang
traffic simultaniously.

Another form of xDSL called (I think) HDSL is supposed to be better than a
T1 in that it can allocate up to 8 or 9 Mbps aggregate pipe-size which can
be dynamically converted to emphasize uploads, downloads, or be equal both
ways. (1Mbps DL, and 8Mbps UL for example or 8Mbps DL, and 1Mbps UL.) I
have not seen HDSL is use here locally, but there was talk of its use in
Seattle about 1 year ago.

Even if it is not true "full duplex", 8 to 9 Mbps is fast enough to
simulate a pipe aster than a T1.

SDSL and HDSL frequently cost more than ADSL.