deleting files

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Wed Dec 8 22:10:34 PST 1999

On Wed, Dec 08, 1999 at 09:44:05PM +0000, Mike Shain wrote:
> I am trying to delete a file and when I do I get this in response
>
> the command line is rm <filename>
> and when it kicks back a response I get overriding mode 0755?
>
> Can anyone help

That means that you don't own the file, and don't have write permissions to
the file itself.  If you have write permissions to the directory the file is
in, you should be able to still remove it.

What happens if you hit "y" in response to the question?
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell