RAM Disks in Linux???

Steve steve at adnd.com
Fri Jul 9 09:31:17 PDT 1999

On Thu, Jul 08, 1999 at 06:44:18PM -0700, David Cole wrote:
> Help!!!
>   I can use any sugestions, I can't find anything about this online

> With PC100 memory prices as low as $30 for 64Mb,
> I want to try a RAM Linux SWAP Drive,
> instead of Hard Drive system Linux SWAP Partition.
>
> Does anyone even have a guess at how I would do it.
> I have Red Hat 5.2, Pentium II 400 with 128Mb of PC100SD Ram.
> I would like to use about 64Mb for general RAM
> and 64Mb Ram System SWAP Drive???
> This would be for my CGI web server Linux box.

Why would you want to do this?  Swap is used when your run out of memory..
so by putting swap in ram your creating a paradox.. Kinda pointless.  If you
don't allocate the ram to a ramdisk, you wont run out of ram to use it..

Am I missing something here,  because this has how it always made sense to
me..

-Steve