Linux Distribution info

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Thu Jun 24 16:52:29 PDT 1999

On Thu, Jun 24, 1999 at 02:58:33PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Martin Hillyer (hillyer at cmc.net):
>
> > Does anyone know a source for a comparison of different distros such
> > as RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Suse, Mandrake, Stampede?
>
> If you found one, how would you know you could trust it to be current,
> accurate, and reasonably unbiased?
>
> The best way to arrivate at a comparison of the distributions is
> install a few and compare.  You might consider one of those jewel-case
> CD-ROM collections of multiple distributions available from such
> vendors as Infomagic.

The problem is that what you'll actually be testing who has the best
installer, since he's probably not going to spend a week or two evaluating
each before trying the next.  While installer functionality is an important
factor for me, so is integration between package management and the
different window managers' menus.  I also want a distro that gets
patches integrated quickly, especially security patches.

Each distribution has a different way of approaching things.  It takes
me a week or two to get comfortable after an install, or even just
a major upgrade (like from a 2.0.x kernel to a 2.2.x kernel).  Trying
to make a meaningful evaluation in any less time would be difficult
(for me at least).

   -- Mitch