Linux Distribution info

Martin Hillyer hillyer at cmc.net
Thu Jun 24 13:34:09 PDT 1999

Pardon me for a newbie-type question; I hope this is a good
forum to ask this. (Actually I'm not exactly a newbie - I've
been using Linux since 1996.)  I'm contemplating upgrading
my kernel from 2.0.36 to 2.2.x, and I'm a bit overwhelmed by
the number of distributions available these days.  Does
anyone know a source for a comparison of different distros
such as RedHat, Slackware, Debian, Suse, Mandrake, Stampede?
I realise this is a bit of a religious issue, but I've used
both Slack and RH in the past (using RH5.2 at the present),
and I do have some prejudices of my own.  I don't care for
KDE, for one thing.  So, I'd like to see some collected info on
distros - such things as init scripts, included packages and
their quality, adherence to standards, etc...  (I'm not so
concerned with installation as I've done a few.)   Something
beyond what is posted on the distros own website, which
while useful, is hardly disinterested.

Does anyone know of such a compilation?  Almost surely
there's a website somewhere.  Failing that, any opinions that
people have would be welcome (reasoned opinions, of course,
I can come up with unreasoned ones for myself :) ).

I'd ask this on one of the linux newsgroups, but I'm afraid
the S/N is pretty low there - I'm hoping it will be higher
here.

TIA
<donning my asbestos underwea - KDE fans flame away>
--
Martin Hillyer