Hardware reccomendations

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Tue Nov 2 15:54:01 PST 1999

On Tue, Nov 02, 1999 at 01:36:47PM -0800, Joseph McCarty wrote:
> I'd really appreciate some feedback on internal 56K modems and NICs that
> folks have found to work well under both Linux and Win 95/98.

	Second on most folks' suggestions.  If you're looking to save money
over most considerations, 3com 3c509 ISA cards can be had for <$5 and work
excellently in most setups; if you're not familiar with IRQ setup, look for
something PCI (all the extant suggestions have been good).  From the
monetary standpoint, the difference between the cheapest "real" modem and
one 2 or 3x its price is fairly small, so so long as you avoid winmodems
(which don't bear thinking about), and unless you particularly want
excellent reliability, it's an okay spot to cut corners.

	Note also that you should find what the proper Linux driver for your
net card is, since under many configurations you'll need to tell it which
one to use -- under RedHat 6.x that's often done with linuxconf, the only
one that I can recall offhand.

	DEC Tulip cards are wonderful units, very fast and compatible, and
also often very hard to identify -- you often have to open the package and
compare numbers on the chip itself.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, finger for PGP;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++