"funny" ASUS P5A-B-AT motherboard

Mitchell Patenaude mrp at sonic.net
Fri Aug 4 11:44:44 PDT 2000

On Fri, Aug 04, 2000 at 11:15:43AM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin  Mitchell Patenaude quotation:
>
> > Ouch, that's a logical/virtual partition rather than a physical
> > partition isn't it?  That means it's enclosed within another
> > "extended" partition, and I don't think you can boot from that.
>
> Sure you can.
> http://www.yggdrasil.com/bible/bible-src/lilo/user/node15.html

Hmm.. I could have sworn that's what fixed my dad's Viao, but I
could be wrong, I was thrashing about a bit, and had begun to use
the shotgun approach. (Let's change everything, and see if it works).

> > I ended up recreating all the partitions as physical, and that did the
> > trick.
>
> That would be my preference, in any event -- just on general grounds of
> system simplicity.

The next problem I see... it's on /dev/hdc, that means that it's on drive
which is the master on the second IDE bus, correct?

Is Lilo or the kernel smart enough to boot without the second IDE driver
loaded?

   -- Mitch