Segfaults

Nancy Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Wed Feb 16 09:34:35 PST 2000

Date sent:      	Tue, 15 Feb 2000 13:33:37 -0800 (PST)
From:           	ME <dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu>
Subject:        	Re: Segfaults
To:             	nblug-talk at lists.sonic.net
Send reply to:  	nblug-talk at lists.sonic.net

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000, Nancy Harrison wrote:
> > Subject: Re: Segfaults
> [chop]
> >    I'm wondering now if it is how they use memory while installing.
>
> Use what little knowledge I have on this subject, I do not think that use
> of memory between the two installations wold be at issue. (Anyone out
> there that knows otherwise, feel free to correct me on this.)
>
> [chop]
>
> > There may be some heating problems someplace in my hardware,
> > but it sure isn't "overclocked" (I wouldn't have a clue how to do that.)
>
> You need not know how to do it for it to have been done. There have been
> local vendors of machines in the past, which have sold over-clocked CPUs
> on motherboards:
> They buy a CPU rated by Intel for 60 MHz, and then try over-clocking it to
> 90MHz when they build the system. They then seel the 60MHz overclocked CPU
> to 90MHz as a 90 MHz Pentum System (This was a long time ago.)
> Or:
> They buy a motherboard rated for 50MHz for bus cycles. The vendor of the
> motherboard suggests that the board be set up to use 60 or 66MHz since
> their lab tests showed these to work. They also offer 75MHz and 80 MHz
> settings for motherboard cycles, but recommend against using them. A local
> vendor could also increase the speed of the motherboard to the ranges not
> recommended by the motherboard vendor claiming, "If they did not want us
> to use them, why would they tell us how to do it and leave the jumpers for
> us to set it so?"
>
> Both practices are IMHO unethical.
>
> However, both show that you do not need to know how to over-clock your
> system for it to be overclocked.
>
> >   I have 2 Debian CD's, both Slink. I will try the other one, just in
> > case something was corrupted on the VA one. I will also try Red Hat
> > and see what happens. Red Hat 6 had a problem with my uni-processor
> > on the Tyan Board - I found the solution in a newsgroup (not from RH,
> > unfortunately) which is to tell LILO "linux -up" instead of "linux" when
> > you boot. Then you can reconfigure LILO to use the single-processor
> > mode as the default. This was all done last year, so it's time to
> > start over, hoping for good luck this time! - G'ma
>
> Of course the -up stands for uni-processor, but you knew that! ;-)
>
> Re-compiling a kernel for your system which uses the PPro instructions,
> may offer some help with the problems you have been experiencing.
>
> You list a number of installations being tested on this machine. Have you
> found one to be better at suiting your needs?
>
> -ME

To reply from the bottom up, ANY Linux distribution would suit my
needs, which are modest, but the ones that have installed with no
(or a minimum) of problems are the Red Hat ones.
  I did figure out that "-up" meant uniprocessor, after fighting off
the temptation to think it meant the reverse of "down" <g>.
  I recently read several posts on overclocking, and should have
remembered that this can be done at the factory or at the
retailer's shop.  On that note, here is a question:
   How do you tell if your chip is overclocked?
   How can you set it to a lower speed, or can you?
Thanks for your responses - Grandma
-Nancy Harrison, Life Sciences Dept., Santa Rosa JC
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html (Calif.native plants)