Segfaults

Nancy Harrison vulpia at sonic.net
Mon Feb 14 07:37:16 PST 2000

Last Sat Devin (aqua) most kindly helped me to try and install
Debian, but my Pentium Pro seemed to crash out with segmentation
faults. Devin suggested I have my RAM checked, but later I remembered
that the RAM had been checked, and came out OK, several months
ago. Since that time I have not used the box much at all.
  So - my question is - what else, besides bad RAM chips, causes
segfaults? I tried checking on Deja, but most of the posts were in
Czech, Italian or Polish <g> - I can kind of grok the Italian, but
not the others!  I know programmers can suffer segfaults with
bad pointers, and that a program can segfault if it tries to
access memory it has no permission to access, but what does
this all entail? - Grandma
-Nancy Harrison, Life Sciences Dept., Santa Rosa JC
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/index.html
http://www.sonic.net/~vulpia/cnps/mbaker.html (Calif.native plants)