Quake III + Linux Question...

Kevin Jamieson derf at sonic.net
Fri Jan 28 15:58:13 PST 2000

The story thus far:

Was at Fry's in Sunnyvale about two weeks ago, and they had the Linux
version of Quake III in the tin (along with Myth II, Railroad Tycoon, Civ:
CTP on a nice end display!), so I picked itup.  I didn't have a 3d card, so
I couldn't play it... went and picked up a Voodoo3 2000 PCI last weekend,
and have been screwing with X, Mesa, Glide, and everything else to get it
working.

What I DO have working: QuakeIII seems to run correclty in 1024X768 using
the id provided voodoo driver.  However, te gameplay is getting choppy at
times (AMD K6-2 450, 128 megs of ram), so I want to switch to 800X600 to up
the framerate.. When I do that inside Quake3, however, the graphics go all
funky - a whole bunch of pastel colored and white pixels, as if I didn't
have enough colors in my pallette, or something.  X is setup to run in
640X480, 800X600, or 1024X768 in 16bpp (which is the only color depth
quakeIII will run at).  So I guess my question is, has anyone else
experienced this problem too?

Also, Loki software suggested using xinit to execute quakeiii before loading
a window manager or desktop manager, to also improve the framerate.  How
would I do that?

If anyone has quake3 set up on their machine, I'd be interested to look at
their X config files.

Thanks,

Kevin