DSL logs

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Thu Jan 27 00:02:50 PST 2000

On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 11:10:54PM -0800, Thomas A. Rice wrote:
> 	Have you actually got a set-up like this working?
> 	I got non-ssh fetchmail working easily, but the following
> 	(excerpt)
> 		poll pop.sonic.net via localhost port 1234 with proto POP3:
> 		preconnect "ssh -f -L 1234:pop.sonic.net:110 bolt.sonic.net sleep 60";

	I've set it up a couple times, and just now tested it successfully
by hand.  It's probably easier if you start by finding a working commandline
by hand, then put it into your fetchmail setup.

	Also use the -v option to ssh to get more details about what ssh is
doing -- sometimes it takes a while for the forwarded port to be released,
so you might be hitting that if you're trying it repeatedly.

% ssh -v -f -L 1234:pop.sonic.net:110 atlantic sleep 60
[...]
kesha.devin.com: Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication spoofing.
kesha.devin.com: Connections to local port 1234 forwarded to remote address
pop.sonic.net:110
kesha.devin.com: Allocated channel 0 of type 2.
[...]
% telnet localhost 1234
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
+OK cucipop POP3 ready <3341000070fc8f38 at buzz.sonic.net>.
[...]

	I don't have a pop-style mailbox handy, or I'd be able to try that
out.

> 	The ssh authentication seems to be ok (I've been using ssh
> 	and scp for quite a while), but it looks like pop.sonic.net
> 	won't allow a pop3 connect from bolt.sonic.net?

	Use ssh's RSA authentication if you aren't already.

Devin
--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, finger for PGP;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++