pc/linux tcp/ip problems..

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Mon Jan 24 19:08:43 PST 2000

} > Subject: Re: pc/linux tcp/ip problems..
} >
} >     Well all has been solved! all I had to do is add the two networked machines
} > ips to the route table per your directions and VOILA! everything pings great
} > and as well Masquerading is up and operating (less than 15 minutes ater your
} > email!)
} > Thanks again You saved me a few Tylenols :)
} > -David Johnson
}
} There is something that does bother me in the use of static routes :
}
} Use of static routes can be useful in many cases, but does not scale well
} as you add new machines. For this reason, it is best to avoid it unless
} you have no other way to enact a solution.
} There should be an rc file of some sort in /etc or /etc/init.d or
} /etc/rc?.? (guesses) for RedHat where you can set whatever working routing
} addition(s) solve these problems to automate the network setup at each
} boot.

I'm also bothered.  You shouldn't have to use any route commands to do
what you are trying to do.

Here is the config file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1
from my dsl firewall machine:

DEVICE=eth1
IPADDR=192.168.0.26
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.0.0
BROADCAST=192.168.0.255
ONBOOT=yes

Notice the network and netmask are defined in this file.  That should
take care of the routings for any  192.168.0.XXX address.

If I type "route" I get several lines, including this:
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
which says to use eth1 for any 192.168.0.XXX address.

The other thing is to add the name/IP addresses of you local network
machines to /etc/hosts if they aren't there already.  Then you can
address them by name or nickname.

   E Frank Ball   frankb at efball.com