About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 26 13:55:21 PDT 2000

Thanks, Frank,

It was good to hear that someone was successful with "tulip" even though
I'll give up. My son is a Windows95/98 user, and since the DOS program
Q-start worked ok with the Kensington NIC, I'll bet that dos/windows users
will be successful.

I had planned to use the NE2000 cards one at a time, but had not a clue
how to start the setup.  I'll be aware of the io address and that it will
find the IRQ.

If timing is the bugaboo, maybe a 16 bit card working at 10 mbits/sec will
work better than a 32 bit card working at 100 mb/sec.  I hope.

If I were to try a new kernel, I'd try the ones in RPM format, which I
understand and can get to work for a bunch of updates.  I am totally
ignorant of how to download source code
and compile it before installing.  Probably have to wait for the next beta
issue of Red Hat.

John