About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

ME dugan at libwais.sonoma.edu
Sun Jul 16 23:03:54 PDT 2000

On Sun, 16 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> I had to use /sbin/ifconfig eth0 and  tot the following:
>
> eth0: error fetching interface information: device not found

OK, so still no device.

> Better luck on this one:
[module list chopped]

I do not see the tulip module/driver here, which may explain why the
interface is not detected.

[IRQ list chopped]

OK, I don't see IRQ 11 in use by other detected hadrware

[cat ioports list chopped]

No reference to eth0 - no surprise as it was not detected with ifconfig.

> > # uname -a
> Linux    jfkhost 2.2.14-5.0 #1 Tue Mar7 20:53:41 EST 2000 i586 unknown

OK, it is a modern enough kernel that you would expect the module to work
fine.

> I need to play with the dos utility more.  Actually I was surprised I could run it
> starting
> from a windows floppy and placing the utility in the floppy drive.

Good deal...

Next time you are in linux try the following as root:

# depmod -a
# modprobe tulip debug=6

Is any error reported here?
If yes, please include information here...
If no, or yes, then once again try:

# ifconfig eth0

Does it offer the same error as before, or an output of information?

If you *do* see useful output (not an error, but good data) then try
and issue the ifdown/ifup commands E Frank Ball offered:

# /sbin/ifdown eth0
# /sbin/ifup eth0

If those work, then try to ping your bound IP address for the linux box.
# ping 192.168.1.4

(control-c to cancel the pings if they keep going and you want them to
stop.)

if that works, then ping another machine on your LAN:
# ping 192.168.1.1

if that works, then see if you can use programs like netscape to connect
up to your router page, and then see if you can go beyond your LAN to the
Internet.

Assuming all of this works, then we will need to look at making this
module always load up.

Thanks
-ME