About the 2 macs and 1 linux on a LAN

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 16 15:09:17 PDT 2000

ME wrote:

> First, appologies to E Frank Ball as I changed the order of his name to
> Frank E Ball on accident in a previous e-mail.
>
> Also, the files he mentioned are very likley the files you could edit by
> hand and follow his directions if you card's interface was recognized
> properly.
>
> More comments below...
>
> On Sat, 15 Jul 2000, John F. Kohler wrote:
> [chop]
> > I did get an error
> > "delying eth0 initialization"
> > and some other stuff
> > Something about /lib/something and "tulip" (the driver for my ethernet card
> > from Kensington)
> [chop]
>
> I went to Kensington's web site but was unable to find reference to them
> making ethernet cards. (Mostly a mouse company for Macs ;-)

Whoopsie.  I should  hav recognized the difference.  My wife has a ** kensington
** mouse on her iMac
I have a Kingston ethernet card in my Linux Box.

> Is it a Kingston? (If it is, I do the same thing. I'll make typos, or even
> re-arrange word order when typing.)
>
> Kingston EtherX KNT40T
> Kingston EtherX KNE100TX

Model is KNE110TX
which has an instruction sheet for Linux installation.

> are stated to be supported. What model/version do you have? A different
> one?
>
> Also what kernel version do you have? (Sorry, I don't know what ships with
> Red Hat 6.2.)

I had to reboot to see the kernel version, even though I know there is a query
that can
be perfomred at the command-line

Kernal version is 2.2.14-5.0 on i586
that came with my Red Hat 6.2

I am afraid I don't yet know how to upgrade a kernel version.  I have seen
higher versions on
the Red Hat RPM mirror sites.

> If you do not see a link light, you can look into some command line
> options to append while inserting the module for it with modeprobe.

There are 4 led indicators on the back of the ethernet adapter card, 3 of which
are lighted
when the CAT-5 cable is plugged in.

> Some of these extra options/names are described here:
>
> http://www.scyld.com/network/tulip.html
>
> and that is a tulip support page.
>
> (I prefer the lilo method with the append and things like
> ether=0,0,media-type,eth0 after I am certain of the arguements that are
> needed, but I run mostly servers which almost never change. For a desktop
> machine, you may want to change your media (10BT,100BT,AUI,10B2, etc)
> often, or experiment.  This would suggest keeping the module method as
> being better for you.)
>
> That URL also offers links to a diagnostic program that may be helpful. (I
> have never used it, so I can't comment.)

I ran a short diagnostic program from Kingston, after having booted DOS (UGH)
from a floppy
I have on hand.  I inserted the   "Q-Start" program from kingston, and started
it.

When it ran  I saw displayed a "node address" similar to the MAC you described
earlier.
00-C0-F0-5B-10-5D