Thanks & 2nd Sound Card, 2nd Video Card questions

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Fri Jun 23 17:34:27 PDT 2000

On Fri, Jun 23, 2000 at 04:29:39PM -0700, Colin Marquardt wrote:
> Is it really the consensus that the lists must be separated so strictly?
> I would vote for the announcements also to be made on the talk list. It
> doesn't really add that much traffic.

It was just how it was set up in the first place.

We're moving services off of the current ISP machines to a machine of our
own (located in the same machine room) which will allow us greater control
of the website and much greater control of the mail (including mailing list)
setup.  I am thinking that as part of the transition of the mailing lists,
we might want to put people that are on both mailing lists just on the
general list and subscribe the general list to the announce list.

> > Does anyone know where I can find a driver for dual VGA monitors?  Something
> > like the NT 4.0 configuration would be perfect.  I'm running out of space on
> > my desk and would like to drive two 10" VGAs one above the other.
>
> That is only possible with the new XFree86 4.x (3.3.x versions could
> only do it with two identical Millenium cards, AFAIK). This is an
> area that is not yet too well explored I guess, but it would be fun
> to play with it.

Actually, there are two ways, and there are people around here with
experience with both ways.

1) XFree86 4.x, which does it by treating the two displays as if they were
one large display -- this works well if both displays are the same
resolution, but poorly if you have two different sized monitors.  I believe
Devin is currently doing this with two different sized monitors.

2) The last time I checked, the only version of this solution available for
Linux was Accelerated-X's multihead version.  (this is a commercial product)
It gives each display a different display number (:0.0 and :0.1, typically)
so you can't move applications between displays.  But if your displays are
different sizes, you don't have the problem of having an area that the
window manager will think exists and doesn't.  I think later versions of
XFree86 3.x have added support for the same kind of thing.

In general, Matrox cards have been the ones to support this kind of thing
best, but I understand it can be done with other cards as well.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell