Linux Ready for Prime Time?

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Wed Jun 21 09:11:19 PDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Devin Carraway wrote:
[snip]
> 	Unfortunately, Linux is usually held up to a standard of installing on
> machines that already have OSes, frequently taking up the entire disk.
> Windoze and AFAIK MacOS can't cope with that situation except by blowing away
> whatever's there.  Linux can deal with it, but it's going to require that you
> know a bit about what you're doing.
[snip]

That's a good point, and one that I think needs more attention.  90% of
the complaints I hear about installing Linux are actually about adding it
to a system which already has an OS and setting up dual booting.  When
comparing to the ease of installing Windows on a blank machine, where
Windows will be the only OS, it is important to compare the installation
of Linux on a blank machine, where Linux will be the only OS.

Andru
| Andru Luvisi                 | http://libweb.sonoma.edu/		 |
| Programmer/Analyst           |   Library Resources Online              |
| Sonoma State University      | http://www.belleprovence.com/		 |
| luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu      |   Textile imports from Provence, France |