Linux Ready for Prime Time?

Eric Skagerberg eric at skagerberg.com
Tue Jun 20 17:53:08 PDT 2000

I got this call from a reporter at the Press Democrat, and he's doing a
story about Linux.  He's going to call me back tomorrow (Wednesday), and he
wants to know if I consider Linux ready for the average computer user.

What do you think?

He got my number because I teach Unix using Linux at SRJC.  We've used
Linux from the beginning, although always in command-line mode via telnet
to a single host.

The Linux GUI has improved enormously.  But fellow instructor Sean
Kirkpatrick has always asked:  Would you turn Linux loose on your typical
white-haired grandma?  Could she use it as easily as a Windows or Mac
machine?  Or are we still a year or two away (or more)?

(Now, Nancy, I know you qualify as a grandma, but I would hardly call you
typical!)

Key usability issues for me:
- Installing the OS
- Installing software
- UNinstalling software
- Hardware compatibility (modems, for example)

Any other issues?  Comments?  Act now!  That guy is calling me back
tomorrow morning, Wednesday, June 21.

Thanks!
Eric S.