Penguin computing

Eric Eisenhart eric at eisenhart.com
Mon Jun 12 12:39:47 PDT 2000

On Mon, Jun 12, 2000 at 12:16:21PM -0700, Sebastian Mindling wrote:
> I'm looking for opinions/experiences with Penguin Computing,
> specifically with their servers and/or warranty policies. Has anyone
> here bought from them?

Yes.  The main complaint I had was that they took way too long to ship it.
(They had some other related bungling -- also, the speakers somehow got left
out of the shipment and were shipped after I contacted them about it and the
APC UPS didn't actually include the cable; I had to get APC to send it to
me.)  At the time, I was *not* a happy customer.

About 10 months after I bought the computer, I contacted them about the fan
in the power supply failing.  They offered to replace it for me (which would
require shipping it there or getting down there myself) or to send me a
replacement.  I opted for them to send me the replacement and it was shipped
fairly quickly.

They seem to be poorly organized, basically.  When I called about the power
supply issue, apparently the message for "Robert" got lost for about a day
or two.

Overall I'd say that VA Linux seems to handle getting product to
the customer better.  I have experience with using VA hardware, but not any
direct experience with warranty policies.

If I was to order another prebuilt Linux computer, I'd go ahead and live
with the very small amount more that VA seems to cost over Penguin due to
better handled service.
--
    Eric Eisenhart   Freedom is slavery.      http://eric.eisenhart.com/
 ^  ICQ#: 48217244   Ignorance is strength.   eric-dot-sig at eisenhart.com
/e\ Perl&SQL Coder   War is peace.            IRC Nicks: Falsch Freiheit
---                        -- George Orwell