Processor Swap

E Frank Ball III frankb at efball.com
Tue Mar 7 13:29:26 PST 2000

} The Pentium 166 is Socket 7.  A Pentium II is Slot 1.  They're incompatible.
}
} An AMD K6-2 requires a Super 7 motherboard (the memory bus will run at 100
} MHz unless you get one with a VIA chipset that will allow you to use your
} old memory [non-PC100] by jumping the bus down to 66 MHz).  The AMD Athlon
} uses Slot A, which is different from Slot 1.
}
} You're going to have to get a new motherboard (I reccommend an AMD K6-2 500
} MHz with the Tyan S1598 motherboard; I've used this combination several
} times; it's the best bang for not a lot of bucks).

Evergreen sells upgrade processors for Pentium I machines.  I think they
have a 333MHz part, which is really some AMD K6.  They got a web page
somewhere.  I have a 200 MHz Evergreen processor in a old Pentium 90.
At 200 MHz I got bus errors because the bus speed was increased 10%, but
it works great at 180MHz (a limitation of my motherboard).  If you want
a cheap solution check it out.

   E Frank Ball                frankb at efball.com
   work: (707) 794-4168        home: (707) 538-3693