my devs get chmod'ed by console logins

Bob Blick bblick at saber.net
Thu Nov 16 19:06:11 PST 2000

Hi Everyone,

Here's a strange thing that's happening to me. I have a machine running
RedHat 6.2. Whenever I log in at the console, several of the devices in the
/dev directory will suddenly change their attributes. For instance, since
this machine plays music from a cgi script(it's part of my home music
system) I have /dev/dsp and /dev/mixer with write permissions for all. If I
log in locally at the console, suddenly only the owner has permissions.
When I log out, they're still owner only. Logging in through the network
don't affect either permissions or owner.

About 30 files get affected, mostly things that a local user might need to
access, for instance:
/dev/dsp
/dev/vbi0
/dev/video0
/dev/winradio0
and also the floppy drive

Another thing that happens is that these devices become owned by the logged
in user while that user is logged in.

I suspect it's a new feature I need to learn about in order to shut off.

Any hints?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Blick