problems connecting to the net.

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Nov 13 11:35:45 PST 2000

Hello,

Basic questions I would expect you have checked:

If you are using 10Base T or 100BaseT, you are using a hub/switch/repeater
or have made special care to use a "cross-over cable" or "patch
cable" when connecting it between the two machine?

If you ethernet cards have link lights, and/or your hub/switch/repeater
has loink lights, are all of them on  and reading the proper
information? (IE, if you have a 10/100 switch does the port read 100 Base
T like the card, or does one read 10 and the other read 100?

For help in looking at where something might be failing could you
check/answer/copy-paste these?:

When you type "ifconfig" could you send us the output in e-mail?

If you do not see "eth0" in the list could you specificly type: "ifconfig
eth0" to see what it reads (if anything) on your ethernet interface? (Also
send this to us.)

Could you type "route -N" and send this to us as well?

If you are doing your testing, you may want to try the machine that does
not have the tulip card *if* you have one of those Kingston ethernet cards
that PacBell gives away when you get DSL from them. (I only say this
because another user here had problems with their Kingston card, and then
at the install fest we found very weird and odd problems with their
Kingston tulip card - both were from PacBell. Best guess right now is
that the model Kingston Card presently being given away by PacBell which
uses the DEC tulip chipset is tickling a bug in the Linux tulip driver.)

-ME