CD-R for Linux? AND more...

Devin Carraway aqua at atlantic.devin.com
Tue Oct 24 23:17:08 PDT 2000

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:52:53PM -0700, Doug Palmer wrote:
> Here's the tricky part: I have some build output on my Linux box, and some
> on a Win2k box. I need to collect all of the output into one package. My
> plan is to collect the files onto the Linux box (ftp? SAMBA?), package them
> in a TBD format (tarball perhaps? but must be secure/crypted), and burn to
> CDR.

Most any network file transfer scheme that isn't crushingly slow will serve.
On my own I'd probably use samba of the two, which helps reduce the amount of
fussing you have to do on the windoze side of the wire.  If the contents of
these files are sensitive (since you mention crypto), then the scenario
becomes more complicated --- neither SMB nor ftp are secure protocols; if
their content is sensitive and you aren't assured of a secure network, then
you'll need to arrange an encrypted tunnel, either SSL-tunnelled smb/ftp/etc
or ssh.  Involving crypto will typically slow down transfer of CD-size files
by a nonnegligible quantity, depending on the speed of the machines.

What crypto to use for your packages depends a lot on your specific needs.  If
you need a symmetric cipher, then the packaging machine will need the key, but
running the file through the apropriate algorithm isn't a trouble.  If you
need an asymmetric cipher, all the packaging machine needs is the recipients'
public keys and a copy of, say, gnupg.  Once you have the big enciphered file,
mkisofs can make the image and cdrecord can put it to CDR.

Addendum concerning choices of CDRs: the ide-scsi ("SCSI emulation") module
has eased the troubles with IDE CDRs a great deal.  Having dne both, I'd say
that ide-scsi is marginally easier to set up given teh vagaries of SCSI cards
in general (mostly that they're less homogeneous than IDE hardware), but
neither is difficult.

--
Devin  \ aqua(at)devin.com, 1024D/E9ABFCD2;  http://www.devin.com
Carraway \ IRC: Requiem  GCS/CC/L s-:--- !a !tv C++++$ ULB+++$ O+@ P L+++