Ximian 1.4 Upgrades

Troy Engel tengel at sonic.net
Mon Apr 30 11:35:41 PDT 2001

Hey all,

Discovered an interesting thing -- I upgraded two redhat-6.2 machines to the new Ximian 1.4, and found that a few packages don't correctly upgrade depending on your circumstances:

Mozilla 0.8.1 - if you have to 'old' mozilla .08 RPMS from blizzard, the ximian ones think they're older and don't install

gal - gal-devel upgraded, but for some odd reason gal didn't.  this one perplexed me. twice.

gimp-perl - gimp packaging changed, there's a leftover gimp-perl package from the old version that needs to be removed

gnome-iconedit - there seems to be no equivelant in the new ximian, so I still have the old "helix" one installed. no clue here.

gnomemm - just didn't want to upgrade, upgraded by hand

gnome-users-guide/users-guide - these two are superceded by 'gnome-user-docs', but they aren't removed by the upgrader. remove by hand.

guile/guile-devel - not upgraded, don't know why. upgrade by hand.

libgal < libgal6 - lots of old libgal2, libgal3, etc previous to libgal6 left installed.  remove by hand.

libole2 - not upgraded, upgrade by hand

libsigc++ - not upgraded, upgrade by hand

py* - pygnome-capplet, etc are not removed, and therefor the rest of the py* series doesn't upgrade.  upgraded/removed by hand.

xmms - only parts of xmms upgraded, not all subpackages.  upgraded the missing ones by hand.

There are some new things which don't get installed unless you do it by hand, like panelmm, g-wrap, and battstat applet.  I just rpm -ihv'd it all, not clue whether or not it'll get used.

Things of note: I used the 'grdb' app before this upgrade (it was never part of helix, made my own rpms) and it worked fine; this version of grdb with ximian seems not to work right for me, still investigating.  The screensaver doesn't DPMS blank my monitor(s) when my laptops(s) are docked and go idle (used to work fine) - still investigating this one too.

My only other annoyance so far is that they removed 'Run' from the standard popup menus (I chose "don't touch my desktop" on first login), so you have to either ad a Run... button somewhere, or rely upon the key hot/shortcut.  I noticed that if you override your desktop, it makes a Run... menu entry in other places...

-te

--
Troy Engel
GPG KeyID: DF3D5207