fixing LILO/grub

Lorie Obal lobal at cds1.net
Sat Apr 21 20:19:31 PDT 2001

I am trouble shooting a dual-boot Win2000/Mandrake install. Intially the
install was fine and Mandrake's "grub" bootloader provided win/linux
option OK.

Due to a bug in Mandrake 7.1, Linux hid the second windows
partition.  Mandrake says:
 diskdrake tries to use a "linux
extended" partition type instead of a normal "extended" or "windows
extended" partion type when there are only linux extended partitions
(which exist mainly to please Windows). However, it does not take into
account the first extended partition on the drive

I used Partition Magic to unhide the second windoz partition which caused
the machine to fail to boot to either OS and ended up using: fdisk /mbr so
that windoz would boot again.

BootMagic is apparently unable to properly recognize or boot the Linux
partition. I don't know how to recover Lilo after the previously mentioned
operation.

Should I pursue this aveneue or just nuke Linux and throw on the next
version, (hopefully, without the 7.1 bug)?

comments or suggestions?

-Lorie