RH7 - ppp error

cdlcruz at sonic.net cdlcruz at sonic.net
Fri Apr 20 11:09:26 PDT 2001

I keep getting e-mail in windoze that I have to upgrade something on my RH
machine, but cannot get online with it anymore.  It worked until about a week
ago; I made no changes, but I can no longer dial anywhere.

Reinstalling the number for sonic.net and running debug sends me
to /var/log/messages where I find: this system lacks kernel support for ppp
and instructions to run "/sbin/modprobe -v ppp"

That gets me the following : /sbin/insmod lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/slhc.o
Symbol version prefix ''
/sbin/insmod /lib/modules/2/2/16-22/net/ppp.o
using /lib/modules/2.2.16-22/net/ppp.o

Huh??  Can someone explain to me in plain english what I need to do to get
back online?

Thanks.

Catherine de la Cruz