X on a notebook (was Laptop Recommendations?)

Christopher White cwhite at softquad.com
Fri Apr 13 16:52:52 PDT 2001

A timely thread!  :-).

I just got a Dell Inspiron 5000 notebook yesterday, and as of today I'm
dual-booting Win2K and RH 7.0.  Everything works OK (haven't tried the sound
in Linux, but I don't really need it) except X.  I simply can't get X to
come up.  The X-based installer fell back to text because it couldn't fire
up X.  This notebook has the ATI/Rage video chip.  I was hoping that XFree86
4.x would be able to recognize the video stuff, but so far no cigar.

Does anyone have an idea of how to get X to work on this notebook?

Thanx!

--Chris

Christopher T. White
Manager of System Administration