Laptop Recommendations?

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Wed Apr 11 12:24:57 PDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 01:39:26PM -0700, Loraditch, Greg wrote:
> I'm considering a purchase of a laptop, which I would likely install a dual
> OS system (Linux and Lose95) on a partitioned drive with the unit.
>
> I have been looking at HP and IBM Thinkpads.
>
> Any thoughts/comments/bugs/conflicts?

I have an HP Omnibook 4150, its a PII 333, 128Mb, 6.4Gb.  It only runs
linux, but it does that nicely.  The thing that I really love about this
laptop is that everything is controlled via the BIOS, so there is never a
need to boot into winblows to change things.  It uses the Neomagic 256AV
chipset for both sound and video, and it has never given me issues all by
itself. I have used X from 3.3 to 4.02).   I do use the commercial OSS
driver, though it did work with the free one, it just didn't sound as nice.
I have some issues with the docking station, but those seem to hove been
fixed with 2.4 and hotplug (I can't use devices that weren't there or went
away, but it doesn't crash in the transition).

Brad Cox, KB1CZQ	http://www.linuxbofh.com	brad at linuxbofh.com
Your depth of comprehension may tend to make you lax in worldly ways.