Non-pnp ISA Cards

ME dugan at passwall.com
Mon Apr 9 21:04:03 PDT 2001

There are some EISA systems that require you run special software to
register resources used by EISA card with the BIOS before they will be
recognized by an OS at all in PnP or other modes. This software should
come fomr the system vendor that sold you the system and/oor the
motherboard manufacturer.

Also, when inserting a module, you can specify io port, and irq settings
that the module should use.

Check out the info on the sb.o module to see if that helps.

You may want to examine the "Documentation/sound" dir/folder in the linux
kernel source. Assuming you use the standard sound blaster, I have
attached the doc for it and args to pass the module when using:

# modprobe sb

or less kind

# insmod sb

to this e-mail. If you do not have a true Soundblaster or instead a
Soundblaster pro, there are other docs there to help you too.

ie:
# insmod sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=....
( whatever.... (check the doc for specifics.)

but you would use the settings you have.

Also check out the contents of
# demsg |more

and see if you have a sound card detected or what kind of audio notices
were reported on startup.

-ME