Can I set up NetWare services under Linux?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 14:50:47 PDT 2001

I am trying to network my Linux computers (all running RedHat 7.1 except for
my router) with a Windows 3.11 system.  I have successfully installed a Fast
Ethernet card and the network driver in Windows 3.11, but it expects me to
be running some kind of a NetWare server.  Apparently, it doesn't even
support Windows NT!

I know that Linux supports the IPX protocol (used on NetWare networks), but
can a Linux box actually function as a NetWare server like it can function
as a Windows NT server using Samba?  If so, what do I need to provide
NetWare services and how do I set it up?  And would an IPX/SPX network
disrupt my existing TCP/IP network if they ran on the same physical
Ethernet?