Distro for AMD

troy fryman at sonic.net
Wed Aug 1 16:51:43 PDT 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 03:53:25PM -0700, Dustin Mollo wrote:

> I'm with Kevin on this one..I'm not aware of one that has AMD specific
> tweaks.  I can say that the NBLUG server runs on an AMD CPU and runs RH 6.2
> with numerous tweaks and patches...but nothing AMD specific.

If you're into building your own kernel (as Dustin nicely demonstrated at a
recent NBLUG meeting), you can turn on 3dnow optimizations.  Don't know what
it gets you as i didn't bother to benchmark my custom kernel compared to the
stock one.  Some apps will take advantage of 3dnow.  Xmms compiled with the
3dnow flag took up noticably less CPU than without on an old k6-2 500
(though it was so long ago i can't quantify).  Same with grip/cdparanoia,
IIRC.

Anyway, with an Athlon, you should suffer no want of CPU cycles :)

-t