SCO Unix...

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Tue Aug 7 12:18:26 PDT 2001

Hey folks!

I got a good question for you all..  I'm not entirely sure whether Unix
(as opposed to Linux) questions are appropriate here..

I'm running an SCO UnixWare 7.1.1 server here, we're running a Progress
database server (9.1a).  There are a few small issues that have been
happening since they got the machine (why the hell they didn't deal with
it before the $2500 support contract expired, I'll never know).

1) When a user telnet's into the system, it connects but doesn't give
any output for quite some time.  The length of time varies, sometimes
can be up to 5 minutes or so.  Now, the catch is, when I telnet
localhost on the box, it comes up instantly..  Or if I telnet from
either our Ascend or Netopia routers, again, instantaneous, just like I
would expect from a 10/100 network.  I haven't tried telnetting from the
external network because opening telnet to the outside with a Unix box
would be silly. :)  The internal network is IP masqueraded behind the
routers, and the addresses for most of the internal computers are
delivered by DHCP by our NT server <cringes away from the evil box>.
Any ideas why this would be happening?

2) The Network Config app in SCOAdmin takes around 5 mins everytime I
open it to read all the network configuration stuff.  Could this be
related?

Thank you in advance for any ideas!

Beer to anyone who solves my probs. :)

- Chris Wagner
--
<chrisw at pacaids.com>
IS Administrator - Packaging Aids Corporation