newbie intro

Christopher Wagner chrisw at pacaids.com
Tue Aug 14 13:22:41 PDT 2001

6 1/2 years with NT?  That's a bummer..  I'm glad you survived. :)

NBLUG tolerance?  They put up with me, that's quite a feat in itself. :)

I think Dane had the Manchester distribution running on Sonic then, but
I'm not for certain.

SuSE, I've heard, is very nice, but I haven't experienced it much
myself.  Mandrake, I have experienced, it's basically RedHat with some
extra bells & whistles and nifty configuration tools.  Although if you
are looking to do server stuff, Mandrake and RedHat have a few big
security holes that need to be plugged first.  Which version are you
running?

Are you looking to use Mandrake as your router/firewall?  If so, which
kernel version are you running?  Different versions of the kernel have
different methods of implementing those features..  Plus, with the new
versions of the kernel, as Devin and Frank pointed out a few months
back, you get some really neat "intelligent" firewalling.  Check out
http://www.nblug.org/firewall/ for more information about their
presentation.  It's excellent reference material.