Which flavor of Linux

Mark Street jet at sonic.net
Wed Aug 15 11:38:25 PDT 2001

At 04:06 PM 8/14/2001 -0700, David Rankin wrote:
>I have a Fujitsu LIFEBOOK 600
>1.2Gig 166Mhz w/ 32MB of RAM
>and I'm thinking of putting Linux on it.
>Caldera Open Linux... Didn't have all the Drivers

Drivers for what?  NIC, Video, Sound?
More specifics on the Manufacturer of the hardware components.  Do a
hardware inventory on the machine, know every piece, make, model number,
chipset, etc.  Visit the Fujitsu website.  Then go to the linux laptops
websites and search for someone else who installed it on that type of
machine.  I found the following site helpful.

http://www.linux-notebook.org/home/

>Any suggestions on which flavor might support it best?

Your machine is a bit older so most distros should support it.  I would
check out the hardware compatibility lists for the different distros and
check out what others have had success with on the linux laptop sites.

Myself, I run two linux laptops, an older IBM 770 266MHz, 128M RAM 4Gig and
a newer Compaq Presario 1800.  Both are running RH 7.1 at the
moment.  Although I have installed Debian and Mandrake on the IBM in the
past.  Think about maxing out the RAM in that little baby.  1.2 gig will
give you a fairly feature rich install....although not complete...  X might
be a little shaky with the resources you have now..... command line rulez...

Sometimes an FTP or NFS install is the way to go with lappies..... the
trick is the NIC....