Donations for the Ranch

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 12 19:13:50 PST 2001

If there is enough equipment out there, we might as well share the wealth
with a few other schools in the area.  Of course, I don't mind if Rancho
gets the bulk of the equipment, since I go there.

And I should add:
In June, I got two broken computers from a company in Santa Rosa that
otherwise would have been thrown away (whoever they hired to repair them
wasn't very smart; he didn't know the difference between the memory and the
hard disk!).  So at the moment, besides the server that I demo'ed last
night, I have on hand one computer with an AMD K5/166 with 48MB RAM, an
at-the-monent-unidentified soundcard, and a CD-ROM drive, but a broken hard
disk (possibly a broken IDE controller).

The other computer appears to have a burned-out Pentium/133 motherboard
(somehow the CPU fan fell off), a generic Tape drive, and a 5.25" floppy
drive (maybe it would be useful to a school that is still using Apple II
computers).

By the way, has anyone played with InterMezzo?  I haven't tried anything
with it yet, but if it works, and the administrators are willing to give up
NT, it might relieve some of the network burden that comes from these
distributed filesystems.

Mike, that first system that you described would nicely replace the one
that's set up now.  I've got a 100BaseTX Ethernet card that could go into it
and speed up just about everything.

Of course, what I'd _really_ love to see at some point is a Math Department
meeting done with Comic Chat.  Imagine a thin, gray alien on the computer
screen saying "What part of x=(-b±sqrt(b^2-4*a*c))/(2*a) don't you
understand?"