Donations for the Ranch

E Frank Ball frankb at efball.com
Thu Dec 13 11:23:33 PST 2001

On Wed, Dec 12, 2001 at 07:13:50PM -0800, Lincoln Peters wrote:
} And I should add:
} In June, I got two broken computers from a company in Santa Rosa that
} otherwise would have been thrown away (whoever they hired to repair them
} wasn't very smart; he didn't know the difference between the memory and the
} hard disk!).  So at the moment, besides the server that I demo'ed last
} night, I have on hand one computer with an AMD K5/166 with 48MB RAM, an
} at-the-monent-unidentified soundcard, and a CD-ROM drive, but a broken hard
} disk (possibly a broken IDE controller).

HSC used to (and still might) sell IDE controllers for $3 to $5 each
depending on what they had in stock.  They worked great with linux, I
put them in several boxes as a secondary controller.  If they are no
longer available I might be able to spare one, I'll have to look around.

I have a 540MB IDE drive I've never gotten around to throwing away if
you want it.  If you are interested in SCSI drives (SCSI2 50pin) I
might be able to spare some 1 or 2 GB drives.

} The other computer appears to have a burned-out Pentium/133 motherboard
} (somehow the CPU fan fell off), a generic Tape drive, and a 5.25" floppy
} drive (maybe it would be useful to a school that is still using Apple II
} computers).

Need any 3.5" floppies?  I can spare a couple.

   E Frank Ball                efball at efball.com