Hardware delivery

Troy Engel tengel at sonic.net
Mon Dec 31 11:39:36 PST 2001

There was both a Voodoo 1 and Voodoo 2 card in the box, both which operate in the same manner -- the video OUT from a "normal" card is fed into the video IN on the voodoo(s), then the monitor plugs into the voodoo card.  The card is then only activated when special drivers request it too.

What's it good for? games.  I used it/them primarily for Quake, Descent, and their ilk.  Not useful for much anything else, they require the special drivers.

-te

On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:58:55 -0800
"Lincoln Peters" <lincoln_peters at hotmail.com> wrote:

> That would explain the VGA cable that was taped to the bag that it came in.
> Thanks for clearing that up.
>
> What Linux programs would benefit from a 3D video card?
>

> >From: "Steve" <srj at adnd.com>
> >To: <talk at nblug.org>
> >Subject: Re: Hardware delivery
> >Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2001 10:09:11 -0800
> >
> > > A PCI 3DFX video card, apparently dual-headed (has two VGA ports).
> > > A PCI S3 VIRGE video card, single-headed.
> >
> >The 3DFX card is probably a voodoo 2.  If  this is true then it is not a
> >dual head card, instead you use the PCI S3 VIRGE card, and takes its video
> >out and plug it into on of the ports on the 3DFX card, then then go out
> >from
> >the 3DFX card to the monitor.  the 3DFX card slaves off the VIRGE card.
> >
> >Voodoo 2's did not have 2d and 3d on the same card.  Just 3d
> >
> >-Steve

Troy Engel :: KeyID DF3D5207
I killed a process today, just to watch it die.