what to do when you've been rooted

Bob Blick bblick at saber.net
Sun Jan 21 12:25:58 PST 2001

>Absolutely.  Do you *NEED* to run a ftp deamon?  Most are nothing but
>security holes waiting to be found.  Using ftp to go out is ok, but if
>at all possible rely on an http server to let others grab files from
>you, and turn off cgi-bin functionalilty if you don't *NEED* it.

That'd be OK for a desktop computer. But this is a remote machine that
services a few users and needs to have normal services.

I don't care about anonymous ftp, but how else am I(and a couple of users)
supposed to get files from the machine(conveniently)?

I've always considered an ftp daemon to be a neccessary part of a base
install. If wu-ftpd has been fixed I don't see why I shouldn't use it,
unless there's something else I should know about it. If there is, please
tell me!

Thanks,

Bob