still trying to fix install (fwd)

troy fryman at sonic.net
Fri Jan 12 13:02:23 PST 2001

On Fri, Jan 12, 2001 at 12:45:07AM -0800, Lorie Obal wrote:

> I've been trouble shooting a dead mouse since 6.2 upgrade (unfortunately
> done after new board installed and I didn't test old version w/new board)
>
> I've tried mouseconfig for coms 1,3,4 (I know the modem is on 2) and no
> response in xwin.

Try this:
# rm -f /dev/mouse; ln -s /dev/ttyS1 /dev/mouse

> I've run: startx 1>logfile.txt 2>&1  the output of that file referring to
> the mouse shows Microsoft mouse /dev/mouse (yes, it is) with a warning:
> "unable to get status of mouse I/O error" I also noticed that mouseconfig
> did NOT probe the system for a mouse when I ran it.
>
> I am also unable to dial up from that box with /sbin/ifup ppp0 (worked
> before new upgrade & board OK).  I get:
> tty_io.c: process 854(pppd) used obsolete /dev/eval -update software to
> use /dev/ttyso/  and so on repeating with new process #'s on each try.

Hmm. I've never seen that msg. before and a web search didn't pull up anything
enlightening...

What version of ppp are you using?  Try this to find out:
$ rpm -qa | grep ppp

It should be 2.3.11 or better.

FWIW, I've found upgrades to be flaky at best.

-t