ISPs/high speed access in Sonoma County

Waldo T. Boyd wboyd at netdex.com
Sat Jun 16 00:38:11 PDT 2001

Hi, Jeff...
ISP availability is spotty here in the upper limits of the SanFrancisco Bay
Area.  I am 4 miles from the nearest connection, and have signed on to
DirecPC-2Way, the upcoming two-way satellite connection direct 24 hour
unlimited line. Temporarily using ISP until Two-way fires up. I've had
DirecPC one-way for nearly two years --it goes out ISP on the old telephone
line, and downloads on satellite direct into an RF modem in my PC.  Runs
about 50 Kbs download, 1 to 3 kbs outgoing. 120 days to DPC2-way, as minimum
waiting period, but could be six months since the demand has outstripped the
professional group Hughes uses for mandatory pro installation.
.  This area (Geyserville) is one of the "last mile" areas you hear about all
too often.  Guerneville, Forestville, Sebastopol, Cloverdale, Geyserville,
Kenwood, Sonoma, Healdsburg, Windsor are all "maybe" for DSL.  I'd suggest a
call to PacBell and ask them directly if DSL is available and if not, when.
Every call helps push the envelope.  --Waldo.