ISPs/high speed access in Sonoma County

Brad Cox brad at linuxbofh.com
Sat Jun 16 15:18:05 PDT 2001

On Sat, Jun 16, 2001 at 12:29:00AM -0700, ME wrote:
> Broadlink offers WDSL, and sonic.net can offer itself as an ISP over
> that or PacBell DSL.
<SNIP>
> I also can't remember anyone that has or uses WDSL around here.

My company (of 10 people) uses a 768kbps link (symetric, which they no
longer offer [we were grandfathered in]) from Broadlink, with Sonic.net as
our ISP.  I have had some minor issues and one major one, all of which have
been resolved quickly.  When I called to set up an install date, I was
asked if the next day would be good for me.  When I called to moved our
service to a new location, I got the same response.  I am extremely
impressed with their service.

However, the method of bandwidth control that is used leaves a bit to be
desired, as at peak usage the latency on the link goes way up (from <10ms
to 400-1000ms).  This probably wouldn't be as much of an issue if most of
those 10 people weren't still in the mindset that they had a large pipe (we
used to be across the hall from sonic.net's machine room, 100Mbit to a T3).
I don't think it would be an issue for a home user, as the bandwidth usage
is more bursty than a collection of people.

I myself have Sonic.net as an ISP with PacBell DSL (384k u/1.5M d).  I
can't use PBI (pacbell internet) as I need (ok, want) a static IP.
IMHO, Sonic is as good as it gets around here.

Brad Cox, KB1CZQ	http://www.linuxbofh.com	brad at linuxbofh.com
You have a truly strong individuality.