Is Mandrake known to have any problems on AMD systems?

Lincoln Peters lincoln_peters at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 18 21:46:04 PDT 2001

Here's what happened:
I looked at RPMFind for XFree86 version 4.1.0, and discovered that most of
the time, the Mandrake RPM's were the most recent releases of the programs
that I was looking for.  In this case, they were the _only_ XFree86 4.1.0
RPM's, so I tried to install them on my Red Hat 7.1 system (with an AMD
Athlon processor).  Well, a whole bunch of dependency issues came up, and I
even ended up upgrading RPM itself, replacing it with a version from
Mandrake.

Then, when I tried to use RPM again, I got a segmentation fault.  In order
to make RPM usable, I had to download it as a source tarball from rpm.org
and compile it myself (at which point it worked fine).  The only explanation
I can think of is that a Pentium-optimized compiler like is used by Mandrake
might not work correctly with an AMD system, but I really don't know.  I'm
especially confused because the Mandrake RPM's with XFree86 seem to be
working perfectly.  Can anyone tell me: is my guess correct, or is there
something else at work here?