tar - versions? (SCO tape to RH7)

Jeff Miller jmiller at batnet.com
Thu Mar 29 12:01:51 PST 2001

Maybe you could try

  dd if=/dev/st0 of=/var/tmp/tapeimage.dat

and then, with the raw data on your Linux
machine's disk, you could see if you could
figure out how to get at what's on there.
Start with

  file /var/tmp/tapeimage.dat
(is it a tar archive?  maybe it's gzipped or compressed?)

  strings /var/tmp/tapeimage.dat | more
(any clues embedded in readable ASCII text?)

  od -cx /var/tmp/tapeimage.dat | more
(or just look at a dump of the binary image)

and work up from there, once it's
clearer what exactly it is.

Jeff Miller
http://www.batnet.com/jmiller