Deja Vu all over again

John F. Kohler jkohler2 at earthlink.net
Tue Mar 27 15:30:29 PST 2001

E Frank Ball wrote:

> } I only know how to telnet, ftp and the rest from inside Netscape.. Is
> } there another way?
>
> there are commands:  ftp, ncftp, gftp, etc ( ls /usr/bin/*ftp )

I tried it and got a prompt:
ftp>

I tried some stuff (like a URL) and got an error message.

> } Yes, the firewall is internal to the LinkSys Router.  When I use the test
> } at (http://www.grc.com) I get "stealth" as the answer from all my ports.
> } Apparently
> } that means my home network is protected from some kinds of intrusion.
>
> I'm not familiar with the LinkSys Router.  Is anybody else?

I have the web page for the model I am using:

http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?prid=20&grid=5

It works quite well on the 2 macintosh computers and my older PC with
Red Hat 6.2 using a Pentium 200 and 1.2 gigs of disk space. My guess
is that I was using an earlier version of the kernel at that time...

John